Gokuldas Tejpal hospital, Mumbai is a government run hospital affiliated to Grant Government Medical College and Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals, Mumbai. It was established in the year 1874 with 521 bedded arrangements.
In 1835, Sir Robert Grant, the then Governor of Bombay, visualized a systematic and scientific institution in Bombay for imparting comprehensive health care and medical training. The foundation stone of Grant Medical College was laid on 30th March 1843 and it was opened on 1st Nov. 1845 admitting the first batch of eight students. Sir Jamshetjee Jejeebhoy came forward with a munificent donation of rupees one lakh for establishment of a hospital, as clinical medicine cannot be learnt in the class rooms, but by the actual treatment of the patients who are admitted to the hospital attached to the medical college.
The foundation stone of Sir J. J. Hospital was laid on 3rd Jan 1843 and the inauguration took place on 15th May 1845. Later many philanthropists gave handsome donation to develop various departments which formed Sir J. J. Group of Hospital as it stands today. Over last 166 years Grant Medical College has produced a galaxy of eminent doctors and medical teachers made its place on the world map.
Grant Medical College Sir J. J. Group of Hospital has an impressive historical background. This institute formed the working ground for eminent personalities in medical history such as V. M. Haffkine (who discovered vaccine for plague), Dr. Bhende (who discovered Bombay Blood group), Dr. K. D. Manohar (who discovered Fasciolopsis buski infection), Dr. Jivraj Mehta (the founder-dean of Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai) and many others.
Contributions of eminent personalities:
- Christopher and Caval worked on Malaria in Grant Medical College
- Dr. Bhende discovered Bombay blood group in Grant Medical College.
- Dr.V.R.Khanolkar (Doyen of Pathology) initiated work on cancer pathology G.M.C.
- Dr. K.D.Manohar discovered Fascioloposis buski infection in G.M.C.
- L.d.Bodies of Donovanosis named after Donovanc was discovered in G.M.C.
- In 1896, V.M.Haffkine worked, perfected and inoculated the plague vaccine in F.D. Petit laboratory (presently the pharmacology lecture hall) Here was the foundation of Haffkine Institute laid.
- In 1902 Robert Koch worked on Vibrio cholerae in rooms behind coroner’s court.
- In 1907 Van Dyke Carter discovered the pathology of Spiro meters in Relapsing fever (our OPD pathology lab is named after him)
- Dr. Rahavendra Rao first Indian Professor of Pathology worked on Tropical diseases and leprosy.
- Dr.Gadgil, the Dean and Professor of Pathology identified the first focus of Human Endemic schistosomiasis in J.J.Hospital
- World famous surgeon Dr.V.N.Shirodkar a G.M. cities has numerous surgeries named after him and are still followed all over the world.
- Dr.Shantilal J.Mehta, father of modern Sir J. J. Group of Hospital was 1st Indian Gold Medalist FRCS and a founder of Jaslok Hospital
- The founder – Dean of Seth GS medical college and KEM Hospital was a GMCite- Dr.Jivraj Mehta.
- Reita Faria , Miss world 1966 Aditi Govitrikar, Mrs. world 2001 are GMCites.
- All the first 3 Indian
Writing an essay for sale is a excellent method essay writing service of promoting your job.